Google Moving to Mobile-First Index
Are you ready?
Most Google users now search on mobile devices. In light of this, a new algorithm is being tested to account for the mobile users. The word is that even if your audience doesn’t search on a mobile device, you will need to be ready if you are to use today’s best practices.
What you need to know:
- Google only has 1 index: not a desktop index AND a mobile index
- Mobile pages are priority: so pay attention to the structured data that can be read by the ‘bots’
- Speed is key: your site should load in less than 3 seconds (but aim for 2 seconds)
*This means no large image and minimal code; also avoid page redirects*
The good news:
- It is still in the experimentation phase with no clear timeline
- As we get more information, we will update you
What should you do now?
- Be sure your content is mobile-friendly
- Your mobile website should load pretty quickly
- Use the Google page speed insights tool to see how your site performs