Watauga Group is seeking a Director of Business Development to take our agency’s new business efforts to the next level. This is a critical role responsible for leading our inbound and outbound new business program, developing and maintaining a robust sales pipeline, and successfully converting “right-fit” prospects into new clients. This position reports to the President and works closely with Watauga’s senior leadership team.
About Watauga Group
Founded 19 years ago, Watauga Group is a fiercely independent media agency specializing in providing the Outdoor Recreation and Attractions industry with media strategy, planning, and buying services. Grounded in our deep understanding of recreation participants and their unique media behaviors, Watauga’s integrated media solutions drive increased sales and advertising ROI across today’s fragmented media landscape of Linear TV & OTT, Radio & Streaming Audio, Out-of-Home, Paid Search, Digital Display, Paid Social, Print, and more.
Who We Are Looking For
You love selling marketing agency solutions (or similar professional services) and want to find the right home where you can fully maximize your business development career. You also have a true passion and interest in outdoor recreation and working with companies that truly make life more enjoyable, rewarding, and healthy for millions of people every day. As a business development pro you have a relentless competitive nature and hunger to win, are highly collaborative, and an excellent storyteller capable of communicating value propositions in a way that wins business. Working in a fully remote environment, you must be highly self-driven and able to achieve business development goals with little direction.
What You Will Do
- Lead and manage the agency’s new business efforts from start to finish, working closely with Watauga’s senior leadership to attract and win new “right-fit” clients for the agency.
- Develop a near-expert understanding of the Outdoor Recreation and Attractions industry, its trends, business challenges, and market leaders.
- Build a steady stream of new business opportunities by maintaining a daily discipline of outbound prospect outreach, follow-up on leads, and networking with industry decision makers and influencers.
- Qualify inbound requests and identify right-fit prospects for the agency by conducting detailed research on the company, its decision makers, and past marketing initiatives.
- Collaborate with agency leaders and SMEs to develop winning proposals and presentations.
- Guide and coordinate in-person and virtual pitches including presentations, timelines, checkpoints, pitch deliverables, and speaking roles.
- Solicit right-fit RFPs and create winning responses that are compelling, differentiated, and memorable.
- Develop and produce in-bound marketing content that creates agency authority and thought leadership within the industry.
- Build personal relationships with senior level decision makers, industry influencers, strategic partners, and other sources of leads and prospect referrals.
- Attend and represent the agency at industry trade shows, events, and meetings.
- 5+ years of successful, demonstrated experience leading new business in a marketing agency or similar professional services environment. Advertising and paid media experience is a plus.
- A personal passion and interest in outdoor activities, recreation, adventure travel, or enjoying attractions.
- Expertise in consultative selling, inbound marketing, and building knowledge-based trust.
- Proficient at researching and uncovering prospects’ business/marketing challenges and translating those into selling efforts.
- A winning storyteller with superior written, presentation, and communication skills.
- Impeccable attention to detail and follow through.
- Highly curious, asks great questions, and listens intently.
- Ability to think on your feet and quickly adapt to changing requirements and needs.
- A growth mindset with an innate bias for making things happen without waiting for direction or answers that may not exist.
- A determined, self-starter who can deliver sales results independently using superior organizational, project management and problem-solving skills.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Based on experience level and prior demonstrated sales results.
- Commission bonus on new business courted and closed.
- Meeting Incentives. Bonus incentives for targeted prospect meetings secured.
- Remote Work. Ability to work from home as an active and fully-engaged member of the team.
- Flexible PTO. Take personal time off when and how long you need it to recharge and refresh.
- Paid Holidays. New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas
- Health Insurance. We offer 3 levels of medical insurance, including an HSA-eligible plan, and subsidize your monthly premium.
- Life & Disability Insurance. Watauga Group pays 100% of the premiums.
- 401K Benefits. We match 100% up to 3% employee contribution, and an additional 50% match up to 5%.
- Recreation Rebate. Receive a $250 annual rebate for recreational activities, accessories, or experiences.
- Tuition Reimbursement. Up to $5,250 per year for tuition and fees.
|Job Category||Business Development|