Watauga Group is seeking a savvy VP, Client Strategy who will bring deep expertise in business, marketing, and media strategy to our clients and staff. This important role will act as a primary liaison and leader across all agency departments to ensure a cohesive strategic approach is delivered to existing clients and business development prospects. This position reports to the SVP, Managing Director and works closely with Watauga’s senior leadership team.
About Watauga Group
Founded 19 years ago, Watauga Group is a fiercely independent media agency specializing in providing the Outdoor Recreation and Attractions industry with media strategy, planning, and buying services. Grounded in our deep understanding of outdoor participants and attraction visitors, Watauga’s integrated media solutions drive increased sales and advertising ROI across today’s fragmented media landscape of Linear TV & OTT, Radio & Streaming Audio, Out-of-Home, Paid Search, Digital Display, Paid Social, Print, and more.
Who We Are Looking For
You are an accomplished leader who understands client service, business strategy, and agency operations. You enjoy collaboration and fostering that within your team as you work towards achieving financial and performance objectives for both agency and clients. You have a passion for fostering growth in team members so that their contributions can be optimized. You also have a true passion and interest in outdoor recreation and working with companies that truly make life more enjoyable, rewarding, and healthy for millions of people every day. Working in a fully remote environment, you must be highly self-driven and able to achieve client, team, and business development goals with little direction.
What You Will Do
- Create and deliver high-impact business and industry insights and strategic recommendations to Clients and agency prospects.
- Lead in the development of new agency strategic services and creation of thought leadership content including POVs, blog articles,, social media posts, and contributed articles.
- Act as the primary contact and point of accountability for assigned Clients.
- Form and nurture deep relationships with senior Client contacts and partner/vendor personnel.
- Manage achievement of agency’s financial metrics e.g., Client AGI, service line revenue, profitability, YOY growth, etc.
- Direct client team productivity as measured by billability and utilization rates.
- Achieve client satisfaction as measured by retention, organic growth, survey results, etc.
- Establish and meet clients’ campaign performance objectives including but not limited to campaign KPIs and metrics of success (sales, market share, etc.) as established by Client; on-time and on-budget service delivery.
- Foster and maintain camaraderie and a culture of teamwork within your assigned team members.
- Generate new business leads, new prospects, and new strategic partner relationships by identifying, attending, and pursuing opportunities on behalf of Watauga at key industry events and conferences.
- Lead business development teams and assist other Senior Leaders in closing new business opportunities including creation of ideas and strategic recommendations, research, preparing presentation decks and materials, participating in prospect pitches, etc.
- 10+ years of successful client management experience leading strategic marketing and paid media engagements.
- Hands-on experience and expertise in the strategy, planning, and execution of omni-channel media campaigns including:
- Linear television, radio, print, out-of-home
- Social – Meta, TikTok, Pinterest, Reddit, X (Twitter), LinkedIn
- Programmatic DSPs via hands-on keyboard or managed service partnerships
- Proven track record leading teams of media strategists, buyers, and planners to deliver superior results
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of consumer research services and data analytic and reporting tools
- Proven ability to develop senior client relationships, understand their business issues and challenges, and develop a successful ongoing partnership
- Excellent communication and presentation skills both in person and via technology platforms (Teams, Zoom, Webex, etc.)
- A personal passion and interest in outdoor activities, recreation, adventure travel, or enjoying attractions.
- Bachelor’s degree in advertising, Marketing, Communications or related field
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary+Bonus. Based on experience level and history of successful client engagements.
- Remote Work. Ability to work from home as an active and fully engaged member of the team.
- Flexible PTO. Take personal time off when and how long you need it to recharge and refresh.
- Paid Holidays. New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas
- Health Insurance. We offer 3 levels of medical insurance, including an HSA-eligible plan, and subsidize your monthly premium.
- Life & Disability Insurance. Watauga Group pays 100% of the premiums.
- 401K Benefits. We match 100% up to 3% employee contribution, and an additional 50% match up to 5%.
- Recreation Rebate. Receive a $250 annual rebate for recreational activities, accessories, or experiences.
- Tuition Reimbursement. Up to $5,250 per year for tuition and fees.