Snapchat vs. Instagram
- Instagram have over 700 million active, daily users. Instagram Stories have surpassed Snapchat with over 250 million users.
- Snapchat have over 166 million active, daily users.
- 25-34 makes up the largest demographic for Instagram. 18-24 is the largest demographic for Snapchat.
- “While everyone wants to jump to Snapchat, Instagram has the numbers. Those who want to target millennials automatically think Snapchat, but Instagram reaches a higher percent of them, particularly older millennials, with better targeting, higher reach and lower CPM’s,” states Jenny Williams, the Watauga CPO.
The Ad Capabilities:
- For the price, Instagram is a better value, with CPM’s that average roughly 50% lower than Snapchat. Remember that it is owned by Facebook which has the ad technology to sell highly targeted ads in a cost-effective way.
- Instagram’s targeting capabilities far exceed Snapchat’s since they utilize data from Facebook. Snapchat lacks the ability to create custom audiences like Instagram does (email lists, pixel based audience groups, etc.).
- Snapchat is also limited in geo-targeting, only able to target at the DMA level, whereas Instagram can drill down to zip or a radius around a location.
The Skinny on Stories:
- Snapchat ads can lead to app downloads and retail opportunities with user
interaction within the story itself.
- Instagram has plenty of direct response in the rest of the app, but stories are more of a brand awareness play.
- Snapchat is the shiny new object for advertisers. Remember your target audience and campaign objectives to select the right social platform for your campaign.