As everyone plans more intimate Holiday celebrations, we expect more people will be spending time in front of their televisions. This year is going to look a little different than past years with modified football schedules, a new approach to the Annual Thanksgiving Macy’s Day Parade, and a change in holiday specials. Below please find a quick recap of Holiday programming and be sure to read to the end for a chance to win a $25 Moe’s Gift card!
NFL Thanksgiving and College football
- Football fans have a lot to be thankful for during the 2020 Thanksgiving holiday, NFL football games will be played!
- The line-up
- 12:30p –Texans vs Lions
- 4:30p – Washington vs Cowboys
- 8:20p – Ravens vs Steelers
- Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 related scheduling, there are no college football games scheduled to air on Thanksgiving Day, however, there are several matchups occurring the Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend.
Annual Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade IS GOING VIRTUAL
- The 2021 Macy’s Day Parade will continue its tradition with some alterations; the parade has a shortened route with fewer participants. Since live spectators aren’t allowed, producers are treating this year’s parade like a movie set, they’ve been able to work with the city of New York and the New York Police Department in identifying areas to block off so that crowds don’t try to crash the parade.
- This approach is allowing them to up their game on the entertainment, Jimmy Fallon and The Roots are scheduled to open the show. The lineup even features an appearance by America’s Sweetheart and one of the Watauga team’s favorites, Dolly Parton.
- 50 million viewers will also see performances by Lauren Alaina, Sofia Carson, Tori Kelly, Patti LaBelle, Matthew Morrison, Leslie Odom Jr., Keke Palmer, Dolly Parton, Pentatonix, Bebe Rexha, and Jordin Sparks. After a hard year on Broadway, we will also be treated to performances by the casts of “Ain’t Too Proud – The Life and Times of The Temptations,” “Hamilton,” “Jagged Little Pill” and “Mean Girls”.
What else is on tap for Turkey Day?
- Another holiday special impacted by Covid is ABC’s “The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration,” which airs on Thanksgiving at 9 a.m. The annual, fifth edition of the special features hosts Derek and Julianne Hough, as well as Trevor Jackson (“Grown-ish”) from Walt Disney World. This year will focus mostly on previous years’ performances including Kelly Clarkson, Jason Derulo, and Boyz II Men.
- Although some of our faves are featuring streamlined programming this year, there is one new addition to honor the brave men and women on the front line. This program, Nurse Heroes Live! will be hosted by Whoopi Goldberg and featured live on YouTube and Facebook. Viewers will be treated to performances by the Black Eyed Peas, Celine Dion, Pitbull, Stevie Wonder, Gloria Estefan, Josh Groban, and Andrea Bocelli; and the Queen of TV herself, Oprah, will make an appearance to support his fundraising effort.
Looking for a few of your favorites after Thanksgiving?
- “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” is moving to AppleTV+ along with the rest of the classic Charles M. Schultz programs. PBS and PBSKid will also be airing these holiday specials.
- HBO Max to Air Episodes on TNT, TBS, truTV over Thanksgiving. TNT, TBS, and truTV will air blocks of HBO Max programming over the Thanksgiving holiday. Offering free trials of HBO Max during Thanksgiving when families are relaxing and watching TV with family is a great opportunity to share some of their original programmings. Throughout each day, QR codes will appear on-screen along with the network and show, specific URLs giving viewers access to subscribe for a free 7-day trial of HBO Max.
With so much to choose from this year, we want to hear which shows you are planning to get in the holiday spirit, so follow the simple instructions below to be eligible for a Moe’s Gift Card!
How to enter to win a Moe’s Gift Card
1. Follow our page on Facebook (link below!)
2. Like our most recent Thanksgiving Day Post related to this blog
3. In the post comments, tell us what program you’re most excited to watch this year!